A private electricity network that is connected to the national electricity grid and passes electricity to multiple tenancies is called an embedded network.
- all apartment buildings, retirement villages, shopping centres, industrial estates and business parks are embedded networks; and
- any person, corporation, government department or statutory body that operates an embedded network, no matter how small, must hold:
- an electricity Distribution & Retail license; or
- exemptions from the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) and state regulators.
- an Embedded Network Manager, responsible for ensuring that each tenant is able to switch to a licensed electricity retailer, must be appointed; and
- all tenants must be separately metered if they are billed for electricity use.
South Street Energy manages all your legal and regulatory compliance obligations.